There are two painkillers contained in Co-Codamol. These are codeine and paracetamol. It is 30/500 because it contains 30 mg of codeine and 500 mg of paracetamol. The medication works best in eliminating short-term pains and aches. In such cases that paracetamol is not enough, codeine comes in to help it eliminate the pain. Co-Codamol 30/500 is just one of three strength levels of the medication. The paracetamol content is a uniformed 500 mg. But the codeine content also has 8mg and 15mg.
One of the objectives of duo tablets like Co-Codamol is to limit the number of medication a patient needs to take on a daily basis. The risk taken by the patient is that these medications do not always offer the best solutions. Since it is a combo medication, there are instances where coming up with a dose required is difficult to achieve. Adding to the difficulty is the thought that the risk of side effects happening is greater when dosages are increased.
How to take it
Patients need o go through the instruction information on how to take the medication. It provides the patient the necessary details they need to know about it. It also lets the patient know the known common and severe adverse effects of the medication.
The right thing to do is to take it the way the doctor prescribed it. Normally, adults are prescribed to take a tablet or two with an interval between 4 and 6 hours. Patients need to strictly put four hours in between takes and no more than 2 tablets per take. The maximum dosage per day should be contained to 8 tablets. All of these restrictions relate to the high content of paracetamol in the medication.
Patients need to take the tablet whole and swallow it with the assistance of water. It is possible to take Co-Codamol before the intake of food. But the effects are felt better when it is taken after eating. In this case, ailments are dealt with better. Sicknesses may still persist after a few doses. If you miss out on a dose, you need to take a tablet once you feel pain again. From then on, you need to adjust your schedule based on the time you re-took it. It is not a good decision to take two dosages on the next take to make up for the missed turn. This will increase the chances of side effects to manifest.
For pregnant and breastfeeding women
Pregnant women need to seek the advice of their doctors for this medication. Paracetamol is a safe substance for pregnant women. But the safety of Codeine to pregnant women and the child they are bearing is not known. Co-Codamol is not prescribed to breastfeeding women because the risk to the infant is greater compared to the good it will provide the mother.
The common side effects of Co-Codamol are:
- Having that sick feeling
- Stomach pain
- Unexplained sweating
- Dryness in the mouth
The severe side effects of Co-Codamol include:
- Experiencing difficulty
- while urinating
- Unexplained appetite loss
- Dependency in Codeine may
- happen if the drug is taken for a long time.
Possible Side-effects of Co-codamol
Like any medicines introduced to treat pain, co-codamol has side-effects too. Though there are people who don’t get them. Here are the most important side-effects you should look for when taking co-codamol:
- Swelling of the ankles, feet, hand, lips, face and throat. This might cause trouble in breathing and swallowing. There will also be an itchy feeling, nettle rash or urticaria, and lumpy rash or hives. You will also experience skin reactions. This means that you are having an allergic reaction over co-codamol.
- Serious stomach pain which can reach your back. Usually, it is the most common sign of inflammation in the pancreas. This is a very rare side-effect.
- Dizziness, light-headedness, drowsiness, confusion
- Feeling sick (nausea), being sick (vomiting)
- Difficulty in passing water.
- Become too dependent on codeine.
- . Bruises and infections caused by blood problems like neutropenia, agranulocytosis, and thrombocytopenia.
- Decreased blood pressure (hypotension).
1. Swelling of the ankles, feet, hand, lips, face and throat. This might cause trouble in breathing and swallowing. There will also be an itchy feeling, nettle rash or urticaria, and lumpy rash or hives. You will also experience skin reactions. This means that you are having an allergic reaction over co-codamol. 2. Serious stomach pain which can reach your back. Usually, it is the most common sign of inflammation in the pancreas. This is a very rare side-effect. 3. Dizziness, light-headedness, drowsiness, confusion 4. Feeling sick (nausea), being sick (vomiting) 5. Constipation 6. Difficulty in passing water 7. Become too dependent on codeine 8. Bruises and infections caused by blood problems like neutropenia, agranulocytosis, and thrombocytopenia. Side-effects might be mild or it can reach it’s sever point. Not everybody experiences them but there are individuals who get them. If you suffer from any symptoms of side-effects brought by co-codamol, immediately notify your doctor. Don’t wait for the time where you become dependent on this medicine. The doctor will treat your side-effects by slowly decreasing your dose of co-codamol until your body can cope up without it. If you are pregnant or planning or breastfeeding your child, avoid co-codamol since it can pass on to your baby.
How Our Service Works
*Images are used for illustration purposes only.
Most Popular Products
We've selected a range of products that you may be interested in