Images for illustrative purposes only
Premarin contains the female hormone; conjugated estrogens, which work to replenish a woman’s natural levels and offset the effects of menopause.
- Offers relief from symptoms of the menopause
- Contains oestrogen
- Can be used to treat osteoporosis
- Genuine medication
- All drugs sourced in the UK
What is Premarin?
Premarin is a Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT), used to treat women who have started to show signs of the menopause.
Patient Information Leaflet
For more information on the prescription medication patients should refer to the Premarin patient information leaflet.
How does Premarin work?
During a woman’s menopause, natural levels of oestrogen production begin to drop. Premarin contains the female hormone; conjugated estrogens, which work to replenish a woman’s natural levels and offset the effects of menopause.
What are the benefits of taking Premarin?
Symptoms of menopause include hot flashes (of the face, neck and chest), irregular menstrual cycle, night sweats, weight gain, thinning of hair and mood changes.
These symptoms can often disrupt daily life so using HRT medication, such as Premarin, can restore the natural hormone balance.
How do I use Premarin?
Premarin is a prescription-only medication. Always follow the advice of your doctor and read the patient information leaflet provided in the medication packet. Your doctor will aim to prescribe you as lower dose as possible in order to treat your symptoms.
Take one tablet each day, at approximately the same time of day, by swallowing whole with a drink of water. When you finish a pack, you should immediately start the next one, leaving you with no tablet-free days.
If you are not already taking an HRT product or if you are taking an HRT product that does not give you a monthly bleed, you may start your first pack of Premarin at any convenient time. If you are changing from an HRT product that gives you a monthly bleed, you should start Premarin the day after you finish the course of the previous product.
Premarin contains the active ingredient of the female hormone, oestrogen. The tablets are available in different strengths and your doctor will prescribe you the weakest one possible.
The tablets are available in doses of 0.3 mg, 0.625 mg & 1.25 mg of conjugated estrogens per day, to be decided upon by your doctor.
If you forget to take your Premarin tablet then you should take it as soon as you remember, unless it’s more than 12 hours late. In this case, you should dispose of the missed tablet and resume taking the medication as normal.
If you take more Premarin than you should, then you should have no problems. However, you may have side effects like nausea, breast tenderness, abdominal pain or drowsiness. If you are worried then you should contact your doctor.
Side effects & precautions
Before taking Premarin, you should always first consult your doctor. You should not take Premarin if any of the following apply to you:
- If you have ever had breast cancer or are suspected of having it
- If you have cancer that is sensitive to oestrogens
- If you have any unexplained vaginal bleeding
- If you have excessive thickening of the womb lining
- If you have or have ever had a blood clot in a vein
- If you have a blood clotting disorder
- If you have ever had a disease caused by blood clotting in the arteries
- If you have ever had a liver disease
- If you have a rare blood problem called porphyria
- If you are allergic to any of the ingredients in this medication
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding
Your prescription of Premarin may also be affected by a number of other factors, so you should make your doctor aware if any of the following apply:
- If you’ve ever had fibroids inside the womb
- If you’ve ever had growth of the womb lining outside of your womb
- If you have an increased risk of developing blood clots
- If you have an increased risk of oestrogen-sensitive cancer
- If you have high blood pressure
- If you have a liver disorder
- If you have diabetes
- If you have gallstones
- If you suffer with migraines or severe headaches
- If you have a disease of the immune system that affects many organs
- If you have epilepsy
- If you have asthma
- If you have a disease affecting the eardrum and hearing
- If you have a very high level of fat in your blood
- If you have fluid retention due to cardiac or kidney problems
Like many medications with active ingredients, Premarin can affect or be affected by other medicines. Particular medications that you may experience this with include the following:
- Medicines for epilepsy
- Medicines for tuberculosis
- Medicines for HIV infection
- Other antibiotics or antifungal medicines
- Metyrapone (most commonly used in the treatment of Cushing’s syndrome)
- Cimetidine (used to treat stomach ulcers and reduce stomach acid)
- Dexamethasone (a corticosteroid)
- Herbal remedies contains St John’s Wort.
If you are taking any of the above medications, then you should make your doctor aware so that they can advise whether or not Premarin will be the best course of action for you.
Taking HRT medication can increase your chances of excessive thickening of the lining of the womb, cancer of the womb lining, and breast cancer so be sure to pay attention to your body, inspect your breasts regularly and notify your doctor of any changes you notice.
Blood clots are higher in HRT users than in non-users, especially during the first year of taking it. Again, you should keep an eye out for any possible signs of a blood clot and contact your doctor if you notice anything different.
The most common side effects of using Premarin include:
- pelvic pain
- vaginal inflammation, discharge or thrush
- breast pain or tenderness
- feeling or being sick, feeling bloated, abdominal pain
- changes in mood including anxiety, depression and irritability
- changes in sex drive (increased or decreased libido)
- changes in hair growth (loss or increase)
- changes in weight (increase or decrease)
If you do experience one or more of these side effects and they persist or worsen, then inform your doctor right away. You should also contact your doctor immediately if you experience any serious side effects.
How do I buy Premarin online?
You can safely buy Premarin online at UK Meds. You will first need to have an online consultation with a pharmacist independent prescriber before your order will be supplied. The online consultation will ensure that Premarin is the right medication for your medical condition.