What is Losec? Medicine for Heartburn and Acid Reflux
25th August 2020
If you're suffering from digestive tract problems, from heartburn to sore throat, you may be suffering from gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or stomach ulcers. You may be wondering what type of drugs can help relieve discomfort resulting from heartburn and acid reflux. Losec (branded), or omeprazole (generic) can help reduce stomach acid and offer relief.
Ulcers and acid reflux can happen when the stomach produces too much acid. Medicine that is typically prescribed for these conditions is designed to reduce the volume of acid produced by the stomach. They are called "proton pump inhibitors", or PPI. The generic name of this medication is omeprazole, with a brand name of Losec.
Losec (branded omeprazole), is a medicine which can reduce the amount of acid made by the stomach. For people who suffer from heartburn or acid reflux, it can help reduce inflammation and irritation of the oesophagus and stomach. Using Omeprazole can relieve symptoms of acid reflux such as heartburn, difficulty in swallowing and persistent cough.
Omeprazole is a generic drug that is also sold under the brand Prilosec and Losec. Other brands are Nexium and Prevacid. They are all considered "heartburn medicine".
Why Would a Doctor Prescribe Losec?
Following are conditions for which a doctor may consider prescribing Omeprazole capsules:
- treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- treating peptic ulcer disease
- to treat Zollinger–Ellison syndrome
- prevent upper gastrointestinal bleeding in people who are at high risk
Lifestyle Changes Can Help Reduce Symptoms
There are things you can do to reduce symptoms of acid reflux that include simple lifestyle changes. Following is a list of things you can try that could help treat acid reflux.
- Eat Smaller Meals: By eating smaller meals, you can limit the volume of acid produced by the stomach. A stomach which is less full is less likely to have excess acid spill into your oesophagas.
- Avoid Vigorous Exercise: Tensing muscles and vigorous movements can cause acid to escape the stomach into your oesophagus, making your throat and vocal cords inflamed and irritable.
- Avoid Certain Foods: Avoid spicy or fatty meals which can cause your stomach to produce excess acid.
- Avoid Carbonated Beverages: Carbon dioxide in water produces carbonic acid, which has a pH of 4.68 (with neutral pH being 7). Drinking carbonated beverages makes your stomach more acidic.
Is Losec The Same As Omeprazole?
Losec is the same drug as Omeprazole, the difference being that Losec is the branded version and Omeprazole is generic. They are both proton pump inhibitors and both can reduce stomach acid because they are the same drug. In general, branded versions of drugs are more expensive than generic versions and this is true of Losec, as it is more expensive than Omeprazole.
How Does Losec Work?
It works as a PPI (proton pump inhibitor). Proton pump inhibitors work by binding to proton pumps in the stomach which prevents acid from forming. The process can take from one to four days to start working but can take as long as four weeks to work properly. but once working Omeprazole tablets remain in action for several days.
How Much Should I Take?
Following are recommended doses of Losec:
- indigestion is 10mg to 20mg a day
- heartburn and acid reflux is 20mg to 40mg a day
- stomach ulcers is 20mg to 40mg a day
- Zollinger-Ellison syndrome is 20mg to 120mg a day
Your doctor will typically prescribe smaller doses for those who have liver problems and for children.
Does Losec Help With Acid Reflux?
Losec, or generic omeprazole, is used to treat GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). It is also used in the treatment of heartburn. It is used in the treatment of syndromes which are caused by excess stomach acid. It is also used to treat or prevent ulcers of the swallowing tube (oesophagus).
Can You Buy Omeprazole Over The Counter?
You can buy omeprazole 10mg tablets and capsules from pharmacies.
They're the same as omeprazole 10mg tablets and capsules that you get on prescription, but they're meant to be taken only by adults, and only for up to 4 weeks.
If you do not have a prescription, our online doctor's service can help you get higher prescription-strength Omeprazole if it is appropriate for your circumstances. Simply add it to your cart and click the button above to start the consultation service for purchase.
Omeprazole from Online Clinic
Were you looking to buy from Amazon or get Omeprazole from Boots, Lloyds or Tesco? Consider ordering from UK Meds. You can buy online from our website and receive overnight shipping of Omeprazole most nights of the week. Our Omeprazole pills start from 25p each. Losec starts at approximately 96p. The best place to find Omeprazole for sale is UK Meds.